Sunday, April 27, 2008

Country Music Half Marathon - Personal Best

That's right! A new personal best for me - 3 hrs 16 min 37 sec!
OK - so the Kenyan finished the full marathon in 2 hrs 14 min 25 sec - I know, I know! I am totally in awe of these elite athletes. I will probably never finish even a half marathon in this time, but I am just honored to walk the same path with them, and every time I improve my time over the last race, I feel like I have accomplished just as much as if I had won the race. In the final analysis, it is really a personal victory for me.

The day started out with a line of thunderstorms that moved through Nashville at 3:30 a.m. When we left for the start line, it was still raining. By the time we got to Centennial Park, there was a light drizzle which stopped just as we crossed the start line. The temperature was in the high 50's and never got out of the 60's for the entire race, and the overcast conditions persisted until I crossed the finish line. Absolutely perfect conditions for racing!! Not having to fight heat and humidity enabled me to concentrate totally on my form and pace, and I believe that is why I had a personal best time.

As always, Jim was there reassuring, supporting, helping - making sure that I had everything I needed, making pictures, bringing me sport beans at mile 9 and cheering at the finish line. He absolutely makes all this possible for me, and I am most fortunate to have this man as my husband and partner.

Marci & Ryan were out on the course early at mile 2. Ryan knows Music Row very well and had picked the perfect spot there to view the race. They were also there at mile 9 (also on Music Row) and at the finish line at LP field, home of the Tennessee Titans.

I'm always looking for buddies to do this with me. If you are interested, the Country Music Marathon is one of the most fun races to do - please come join me!!












No comments: