Saturday, May 3, 2008

OBAMA Campaign in Asheville, NC

Last week, I received a call from the North Carolina campaign headquarters for Barack Obama that volunteers were needed to help with the final "Get Out The Vote" (GOTV) effort in Asheville. My enthusiasm for Obama's candidacy has been building over the last year, and I finally decided to take the plunge and get involved in his campaign.

So, Friday morning (yesterday) I drove to Asheville along with another volunteer from Chattanooga. When we arrived, we found a well-organized and staffed campaign, and 40 out-of-state volunteers coming in from Pennsylvania to Florida and all points in between. What you hear about this campaign being a "grassroots" movement is really true. This is a very diverse group, united around a common goal to change the way politics are conducted in this country. We were encouraged to share our personal stories with other voters and reminded that the change begins with us. That means that we talk positively and passionately about why we believe Barack Obama should be our President, and not engage in negative criticism of the other canidiates.

We found out on Thursday night that Michelle Obama would be in Asheville on Friday night for a rally on the campus of UNC-Asheville. This really added to the excitement and enthusiasm of the campaign here.
Before Michelle spoke, Gladys Knight (yes, of Gladys Knight and the Pips) spoke to the crowd of about 3,500. She introduced herself as Gladys Knight McDowell and said that one of the things she most loved about her husband, William, is that he brought her to his home in North Carolina to live - "I just love these mountains", she declared. She also said that she was a lifelong Democrat (she is 63) and had worked in many campaigns, but "never did I dream in my lifetime I would be able to campaign for a presidential candidate and first lady that look like me,” she said. “America is ready for this. It’s time for a change.”

Michelle Obama - what can I say!?! I had only heard her in interviews prior to last night, but never as a speaker. What a brilliant and gifted speaker she is! Her theme was the ever-shifting bar confronted by many Americans every day - prosperity, affordable healthcare, decent housing, quality education. Just as it seems that the goal is attainable, the bar for which we are striving shifts and moves just out of reach. She began by talking about Barack's campaign - when he began, many said he would never be able to raise enough money. And, when he did, that wasn't what mattered (according to the political pundits). What mattered was popular support. Then he gained popular support, and that was judged not important - what mattered was whether he could win a state primary. And, when he won Iowa - that didn't count, because it was a caucus. What mattered was whether he could win a popular vote primary. And, when he won South Carolina, that didn't count, because it was a black state. Etc, etc, etc, - the ever-shifting bar - you get the picture!

She concluded by talking about how this ever-shifting bar affects the way people feel about themselves and their ability to provide for themselves and their families. Hopelessness and fear begin to take hold of our lives, and we don't believe that we have the power to change the direction in which we are headed. We distrust each other and lose our sense of responsibility for our neighbors, our community and our country. Barack believes there is a better way - because through his community organizing efforts, he has seen people come together across all races, classes and politics to unite for a better way of life. This is what he offers us as a model for a new way of doing business in Washington.

Michelle spoke for close to an hour - and she even hung around for almost another hour to talk to everyone individually and sign autographs.

I am very honored to be involved in this campaign. Barack and Michelle Obama are two very committed, genuine and refreshing individuals who, I believe, have already raised the level of political speech and practice to a new level that I haven't seen in a long, long time.

More later - I'm tired after a day of knocking on doors!

No comments: