Tuesday, May 6, 2008

North Carolina Goes Big for Obama!!

As I post this entry, it appears that we won North Carolina by solid double digits and that Indiana is too close to call, but will probably go for Clinton by 2 points. What this means, I believe, is that it will be very difficult for Clinton to make the case that she should be the candidate with this mediocre showing in what has been Obama's roughest week so far. Once again, I am so proud to be a part of this campaign. Barack has weathered the storm and shown that he can do it with dignity and integrity.

We canvassed door-to-door until the polls closed at 7:30 tonight. On the way back to headquarters, we got the news that CNN had already called North Carolina for Obama. There were four women in my car screaming their heads off and acting like wild creatures!! We had worked so hard, and were so tired I think we were just delirious.
The victory party was at the Asheville Brewing Co. They had a huge TV screen for viewing the results and free pizza for the campaign volunteers. Everybody was so happy - and the pizza was delicious. I couldn't resist taking a picture of this banner. Check out their website: Drinking Liberally


Here are some pictures of my campaign buddies that have been here throughout these 5 days.
This is Jeff and Fadia. Both of them live in Chattanooga. Fadia rode over with me on Friday and Jeff has been here since last Wednesday. Jeff is an architect and has also campaigned for Barack in Ohio, as has Fadia. Fadia is a Jordanian and cannot vote, but has worked very hard to elect Obama. Fadia and I have canvassed together most days and Jeff has driven voters to the polls.

Below left, are Kim and Stan, who are married and live in Asheville. Stan was actually more involved in a local contest for county commission, and his candidate won. Kim joined us this afternoon for canvassing and was in the car screaming like a banshee when we heard the CNN results. My hostess, Kathy is also in the picture. Kathy volunteered all day today holding signs up at intersections and getting voters to the polls.
Below right, is Carolyn with me. Carolyn is an accountant from Greeneville, SC, who was the canvass coordinator for Greeneville in the SC primary in January. This woman can absolutely run circles around anybody!! We were celebrating the victory - sitting at the bar with our pizza and beer.














So, tomorrow I say farewell to my wonderful hosts for my stay in Asheville. Eric and Kathy have made me feel so welcome. Thanks, Eric, for the great oatmeal breakfasts every morning - I love your recipe and will take it home with me! Thanks, Kathy, for outfitting my bed with the high-threadcount sheets, down comforter and the wonderful mattress warmer. Believe it or not, it's cool enough in Asheville at night that these accessories feel great. It has been wonderful to fall into this comfortable bed every night, with the windows open, the train whistling in the distance and the birds waking me up with their singing in the morning. And thanks for the great conversations we've had. Best wishes in your move to Ithaca - Kathy enters law school at Cornell this fall!!
As wonderful as this trip has been, I will be so happy to get back to our mountain tomorrow. Have a great week!!

No comments: