Saturday, May 24, 2008

About Hillary......

I just finished A Woman in Charge, the recently published biography of Hillary Clinton. This 500+ page work is exhaustively researched and tightly reported by Carl Bernstein, half of the Woodward/Bernstein team of "Watergate" fame. As an investigative reporter, Bernstein has interviewed over 200 individuals and referenced countless books, media reports, speeches, and private notes and papers. The bibliography itself is 9 full pages. Every source was corroborated by a secondary source.

All that to say that this is not a gossipy tabloid biography. This is a serious journalist who is interested in and commited to telling the full story - in all its glory!!

Here are some of my thoughts about Hillary, having read this biography:
  • Born in 1947, she is of my generation (I was born in 1946). I can totally relate to her journey as a woman coming of age in the 60's. The limited opportunities for women during her early professional life and the choices she made are reflective of that generation of women. She fell totally "in love" with Bill Clinton, who firmly believed that his political path to national office went through the state of Arkansas. At that point, she hitched her career to his. She believed he could be President and I'm convinced that without her steady and determined focus on that goal, he would have never succeeded.

  • Hillary learned through trial and error, and a series of missteps, just how tough state and national politics can be. Her response was to close ranks, demonize the opposition and come out fighting. Remember - there were few female role models in politics at this time. This was new territory for her and for women. Her behavior, I believe, modeled the male "warrior." The path to success, many women believed, was to compete based on this "warrior" model - may the best man win!! Feminine voices and behavior patterns (building consensus, creating community and family, etc.) were viewed as weaker behaviors and not worthy of leadership roles. Androgynous leadership styles are only now emerging.

  • Her early career (BB - before Bill) was marked by a passion for children, particularly for poor children and their families (Children's Defense Fund), and for civil rights, reflective of traditionally feminine concerns and values. She seemed to return to these core values in times of crisis - e.g. the 1994 Republican takeover of both houses of Congress, the demoralizing defeat of her health care package, the Lewinsky affair. Her book, It Takes a Village, was written during 1995 (post 1994 congressional elections and health care defeat) and was intended to show her more reflective, thoughtful and compassionate voice. I believe we also saw this pattern re-emerge in her "I Found My Voice" speech in New Hampshire this year, coming after her stunning 3rd place finish in Iowa.

  • Hillary does not seem to be able to remain true to this "inner voice." At times, it's an almost schizophrenic pattern - the warrior Hillary vs. the compassionate Hillary. I wonder if she even really knows who she is. Self-examination and reflection are not her strong suits! To me, it's a tragic tale of a bright, talented and driven woman who has lived her life (warts and all) on public display. Through it all, she seems to rise again and again from the ashes. That's why I never count her out. Her displays of apparent arrogance and self-righteousness, I believe, arise from a deep insecurity fostered by the uncertain and rocky path she has followed. (Way too much psycho-babble!!)

  • Somehow, I think her inability to accept defeat is tied to her life experience. She has taken "spin" to a new level, a la her delegate math assertions. She just can't help herself!! To admit defeat is very personal to her - a body blow.

So, there you have it - my lengthy Hillary analysis. As you can no doubt surmise, I have followed Hillary's career with much interest and, at times, with much respect and admiration. Her current campaign, I must say, is not one that I admire, but I do feel that I understand her path and I ache for what might have been.


It's a journey

No comments: