Jim was in North Carolina on his annual golf trip to Springdale. His team won the tournament! On Thursday, I went to Sparta and picked up Joy to come for a "girls" overnight at my house. She had not seen the new house, and I wanted her to have plenty of time to see it. I caught her in the elevator
. She finally mustered up the courage to take a ride by herself.
. She finally mustered up the courage to take a ride by herself. We explored the surrounding area on Friday morning and stopped for lunch at the Blue Chair in Sewanee. Their carrot cake is the best, so we shared a single slice.
After lunch, we headed down to the Sequatchie Valley where a friend of Jimmy's owns a Pickett's Trout Ranch.
He supplies organic (no antibiotics), farm-raised rainbow trout to restaurants and fish markets on the order of about 25,000 per year. The fish are raised in lakes fed by an underground stream that comes out of a cave just behind the house, and the water is really cold!!
He supplies organic (no antibiotics), farm-raised rainbow trout to restaurants and fish markets on the order of about 25,000 per year. The fish are raised in lakes fed by an underground stream that comes out of a cave just behind the house, and the water is really cold!!Jimmy and Will were there for an overnight campout and for a competitive hash run on Saturday. Jimmy was preparing the route for the hash run Friday afternoon and asked if Joy and I could help out by entertaining Will for the afternoon.
We hung around the trout ranch for about an hour, fed the fish and played with the five dogs, one of whom chased every stick Will (or anybody else) threw until the dog was totally exhausted.
Will won the endurance contest, but passed out in the car within 5 minutes of our trip to Sparta.
Will won the endurance contest, but passed out in the car within 5 minutes of our trip to Sparta.Will and I got back to the trout ranch in time for the cookout - hot dogs and hamburgers - and the tents were pitched and ready for a good night's sleep. For my part, I headed back up the mountain to my cool, comfortable, insect-free bedroom. After a good night's rest, I went back down to pick up Will before the adults had their hash run and this time Will spent the night with me.
We spent the afternoon working puzzles, water painting, reading and of course, riding the elevator. We decided to treat ourselves to McDonald's for dinner and then stopped at the park where there were some other children playing on the playground. This must have been parents' night out because all the kids were there with their grandparents.
I found out that Saturday night in the park is a big deal for the locals here, where everyone gathers to chat and wave at their neighbors who are driving by on the main drag through town. It sort of reminds me of the old folks (I think I am one now) sitting around the courthouse square in Sparta. Anyhow, it was a great time! We stayed until dark and Will had no problem being ready for bed.
I took Will back down to the trout ranch once more to meet his parents for the trip back to Chattanooga. Shortly after I got back, Jim called to say that he was on his way home from North Carolina. My friend, Connie, whose birthday was on Sunday, called to say they they were having a cookout Sunday afternoon at their house in Chattanooga, so I drove down and met Jim there and spent the night at their house.
Whew!! What was going to be a rather quiet weekend turned out to be quite a busy one. But that's the beauty of the retired lifestyle. Anything can be put off to the next day and often does! I somehow manage to get done what needs to be done, and I'm grateful to have the flexibility to live like we do.
Will's birthday was yesterday, and I have some great pictures which I will post shortly.

No comments:
Post a Comment