This was the 25th anniversary of the hike up Mt. LeConte to LeConte Lodge. The first hike up was when Jimmy was 9 years old - in the early April of 1992. (We missed 2 years - once when I broke my leg, and another time when we lost our reservation). That first hike was accomplished by Jim and Jimmy in 9 inches of snow and, as Jimmy reminisced yesterday, he really was ready to just lay down and die before he got to the top. They made it, needless to say, and they were hooked and invited the girls to go along the next year.So, what a thrill it is now to have 3 generations making the hike. Five-year-old Will hiked the entire 5-mile trail, both ways. In honor of the occasion, Will was invited to ring the dinner bell that evening. We made it up in 4.5 hours, spent the night at the Lodge, and then back down in 3 hours. I think Will was the only one who wasn't at all sore last night when we got down. Last year, at the age of 4, Will hiked all the way up the mountain, with the encouragement of his 11-year-old very pretty friend, Kensi. Kensi wasn't hiking with us this year, so we were concerned that his motivation might not be as strong this year. Everytime Jimmy asked him if he wanted to ride in the backpack carrier, he declined. We were so proud of him!!

We used the Alum Cave Trail both ways. This is one of 5 trails which lead to the summit. The elevation gain is 2,560 ft up to Mt. LeConte at 6,593 ft. The first landmark is the stairs through Arch Rock. This rock formation covers 33 man-made steps under the arch to the next section of the trail.
Alum Cave Bluffs are about half-way and we always stop there for lunch on the way up.
Sandstone bluff overhangs provide shelter if needed and the views from the bluffs are really beautiful.
Sandstone bluff overhangs provide shelter if needed and the views from the bluffs are really beautiful. Just before the bluffs is a rock outcropping covered with heather which we have come to call "Squirrel Rock" over the years. Will learned the reason for this nickname this year and successfully fed a few friendly squirrels some pretzels.
They seemed most grateful.
They seemed most grateful.
The last mile or so of the trail is spectacular but very rocky and the trail narrowly clings to the side of the mountain with cables attached for handholds in the most treacherous sections. Of course, Will held the cable with one hand and his Dad's hand with the other.
We were lucky this year to have a beautiful sunset at Cliff Top. Maybe one out of every 10 years do the clouds clear enough for sunset. Sunset was at 8:50 EST, so we hiked back down just in time for a final hot chocolate before bedtime.
It probably doesn't surprise you at all that Will is wearing an Obama shirt. He, of course, got plenty of comments, not only about his shirt, but also about the fact that he had hiked the entire 5 miles. One of the adult hikers asked him if he was for Obama, to which Will replied "I'm just for America, because I speak American!"
Honestly, I couldn't be more proud of my grandson - a child who knows his own mind and isn't afraid to speak out. When I asked Will who was going to be the next President of the United States, he held up his hand and said, "I Am!!" So, you heard it first here - Will for President!
Honestly, I couldn't be more proud of my grandson - a child who knows his own mind and isn't afraid to speak out. When I asked Will who was going to be the next President of the United States, he held up his hand and said, "I Am!!" So, you heard it first here - Will for President!If you are ever interested in making this hike, I will be happy to talk to you about what we have learned over the years, including the best way to get reservations, which are very tricky to get. We also are happy for friends to make the hike with us, so just let us know if you want to go along. We usually go in early June, and will be going until our legs refuse to carry us. While I doubt that we will break the 1,001 trips made by Margaret Stephenson, who hiked the LeConte trails until age 86, we certainly expect to have quite a few more trips!

No comments:
Post a Comment