Yes, I did it again!! Am I crazy?
Somewhat, I think I am, or maybe just addicted to the whole culture of marathons and the people who come back time after time to this challenge. There is something cult-like about this whole experience. After each marathon I have said, "This is the last one - maybe a few half marathons - maybe!" But, then, I do a few half marathons and it's just not enough. After all, if you are not totally wiped out, where's the challenge?
Somewhat, I think I am, or maybe just addicted to the whole culture of marathons and the people who come back time after time to this challenge. There is something cult-like about this whole experience. After each marathon I have said, "This is the last one - maybe a few half marathons - maybe!" But, then, I do a few half marathons and it's just not enough. After all, if you are not totally wiped out, where's the challenge?This was the second time I completed the Disneyworld Marathon, and I spotted some of the same people on the course. Once again, I wore
my bright orange Tennessee jersey, and I guess it made enough of an impression last year that the same people recognized me again. At about mile 16, I caught up with the LSU fan who was doing the marathon with his daughter. He told me that LSU fans love their new coach from TN - former defensive coordinator John Chavis. Then there was Mary, from Morehead, KY; at age 63 she has done 22 marathons. And, you think I'm crazy?!
my bright orange Tennessee jersey, and I guess it made enough of an impression last year that the same people recognized me again. At about mile 16, I caught up with the LSU fan who was doing the marathon with his daughter. He told me that LSU fans love their new coach from TN - former defensive coordinator John Chavis. Then there was Mary, from Morehead, KY; at age 63 she has done 22 marathons. And, you think I'm crazy?!And the results are - drum roll......... 7 hrs 3 min. Not my best time, for sure, and 3 minutes short of my goal. I
really just needed to step it up a bit for the last 5 miles, but I just lost track of the time after I left MGM at mile 24. My pace through mile 20 was just fine at 5 hrs 17 min, and it should have only taken me another 1.5 hrs to finish the 26.2. Oh, well.... what can I say.... I finished, I got the medal and the t-shirt. Of the more than 20,000 who started, only 15,000 finished, so I'm proud to be part of the 75% who finished.
really just needed to step it up a bit for the last 5 miles, but I just lost track of the time after I left MGM at mile 24. My pace through mile 20 was just fine at 5 hrs 17 min, and it should have only taken me another 1.5 hrs to finish the 26.2. Oh, well.... what can I say.... I finished, I got the medal and the t-shirt. Of the more than 20,000 who started, only 15,000 finished, so I'm proud to be part of the 75% who finished.Best of all was having my own cheering section - Marci and Ryan, Jim and Martha Fallis, and - best of all - my wonderful husband, who practically ran the race with me. I saw him at miles 2, 9, 12.5, 19 and he actually walked with me from mile 22 to 23. Marci and Ryan were at mile 16 in Animal Kingdom and mile 24 in MGM. Martha and Jim were at mile 9 and at the finish, where Martha had her camera working overtime.
At all those spots they showed up with nutrition bars, oranges, bananas, Gatorade etc. and an extra measure of moral support. And, at mile 20 I got a text message from Jimmy cheering me on - the wonders of technlogy!!
At all those spots they showed up with nutrition bars, oranges, bananas, Gatorade etc. and an extra measure of moral support. And, at mile 20 I got a text message from Jimmy cheering me on - the wonders of technlogy!!Will I do it again? Probably. Right now, I'm cooling my heels in Big Sky and praying for fresh powder so I can hit the slopes. When we get back to Florida in a few weeks, I'll start back in training for the Nashville half marathon. The amazing thing is that after this marathon, I had no physical problems. A few aches and pains were worked out immediately after the finish with about 20 minutes of stretching, a couple of Tylenol and the requisite ice bath. The next day, I was t
otally mobile with none of the blisters that crippled me last year for a week.
otally mobile with none of the blisters that crippled me last year for a week.So, yes... I think there are some marathons left in me. The day after I finished, I got an email announcing the inaugural "Rockin' the Strip" marathon in Las Vegas in December 2009. Sponsored by Elite Racing, these Rock 'N Roll marathons are terrific events with bands at every mile. Disney has been fun, but it does cut into my skiing time.
So, here we go again. There is something to be said for "use it or lose it", and I fully intend to use it as long as I can. The answer to the question, "Why do you do it?" will always be, "Because I can!!"

No comments:
Post a Comment