OK -
Well, it wasn't the entire day. It was actually only 30 minutes, but a half-hour I will definitely remember for the rest of my life!
Well, it wasn't the entire day. It was actually only 30 minutes, but a half-hour I will definitely remember for the rest of my life!I have been in Charlotte, NC since Saturday night, knocking on doors, making phone calls and doing anything I can to help North Carolina go for Senator Obama. Yesterday, the field organizer (Kevin) in the Charlotte office asked if I could do some special phone banking
on Monday afternoon to some still-undecided voters. I was to show up at 2:30 pm along with 14 other volunteers where we were given lists of undecided voters to call. There we are in the picture to the right. The fellow in the lower left corner of this photo is from Bristol, England, and came to Charlotte to spend 10 days working on the campaign!
on Monday afternoon to some still-undecided voters. I was to show up at 2:30 pm along with 14 other volunteers where we were given lists of undecided voters to call. There we are in the picture to the right. The fellow in the lower left corner of this photo is from Bristol, England, and came to Charlotte to spend 10 days working on the campaign!Now, the twist in all of this was that Obama was coming to Charlotte for a campaign rally at 5:30 this evening, and I surely didn't want to miss this rally. Kevin promised me solemnly that I would not miss the rally as long as I promised him solemnly that I would show up at 2:30 and make phone calls until 5:00. He further said that I would have "almost VIP" seats."
Yes,
I would call sitting right next to Barack Obama VIP seating! At 5 pm, Senator Obama walked through the back door of the office. Of course, we all erupted
into huge cheers and he was so genuinely grateful for our work and our support. We started asking for autographs and photos, and he very promptly and kindly said, "We're here to work - this isn't an autograph party.
I would call sitting right next to Barack Obama VIP seating! At 5 pm, Senator Obama walked through the back door of the office. Of course, we all erupted
into huge cheers and he was so genuinely grateful for our work and our support. We started asking for autographs and photos, and he very promptly and kindly said, "We're here to work - this isn't an autograph party.He asked us to go on with the phone calls we were making and to get some voters on the phone so that he could talk to them. I talked to a 3-time Iraq veteran who had questions about the length of the war and was concerned that it was time to bring it to a close and, at the very least, be sure that repeat assignments were not so close together that he had no time with his family. I handed the phone
to Senator Obama who began by thanking him for his service and explained his policy regarding this voter's concerns.
to Senator Obama who began by thanking him for his service and explained his policy regarding this voter's concerns.I was so impressed with his genuine conversation with us. As hard as this may be to believe, after a few calls, it was almost as if he were just another caller in this campaign. There was no self-serving, photo-op, attention grabbing from this man. He even joked with one of the voters who was celebrating his birthday and whose wife and daughters were planning a party for him. I'm not sure what the man told him, but his response was - "It sounds like you are like me - surrounded by some strong women. My advice is - do what they tell you to do!"
If you are still an undecided voter, and if you still haven't voted, please consider voting for Senator Obama. He is the real deal!! I can't wait to see the change in this country, and in our politics and in our lives when he becomes our President!

No comments:
Post a Comment