Sunday, November 2, 2008

Barack 'N Roll

Saturday was a great day on the "rock" - as we say here on the mountain. The Cumberland Plateau for Obama sponsored the Barack 'N Roll Music Festival this weekend. Our headliner was Milele Roots, a band started by our good friend Morris Thuku who is currently visiting here from Kenya. Morris (in gray shirt) was a college student in Chattanooga when he started the band and it has survived and thrived in his 10-year absence.

Milele Roots is a fabulous reggae band based in Chattanooga. They have been together for about 15 years and four of the original band members were there yesterday: Christian Craan (awesome dreadlocks!), Antoine Williamson, Morris and how great was it to see Earl, now in his 70s, who played awesome Caribbean drum beats in the original band, but now enjoys cheering the guys on.

The purpose of the festival was to pump people up to get out and vote for Barack Obama on Tuesday. There were lots of people in and out during the afternoon, and some stayed for the whole 2-hour show.

Morris had not sung with the band since he left the United States 10 years ago, but he was definitely back in the groove. The band led off with "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" Answer: Obama!

Meanwhile, the McCain-Palin folks are very active - mostly with negative tactics. I don't want to join the negativity - so I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves.


I'm in Charlotte, now. And, Obama will be here for a rally tomorrow afternoon - one of his last stops before he heads back to Chicago to vote on Tuesday! I knocked on 67 doors today and will head out again to go out putting door hangers on doors reminding people to go vote! I am totally pumped!!

No comments: