On this trip we picked up I-70 in Eastern Utah and took it almost all the way to I-15, which is the north/south route from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas, and where I-70 ends. This section of I-70 divides the San Rafael Swell, an amazing uplifting of the Colorado Plateau which occurred millions of years ago, and it's the only road into this region The swell is about 75 by 40 miles in area, rising to elevations above 8800 feet. The same process of uplifting and erosion which we saw in Arches has happened here, except that water has played a more major role in shaping its geologic features. Canyons, gorges, wide mesas and buttes further than the eye can see made for a jaw-dropping drive. Parts of this drive look like images from Mars or the moon - strangely enough, The Mars Society decided to set up the Mars Desert Research Station in this region in order to develop key knowledge needed to prepare for the human exploration of Mars!!
We headed south just before the I-70/I-15 junction and away from the San Rafael Swell. I still remember that this portion of our continent was covered by that vast inland sea, and with just a little bit of imagination I'm in a submarine navigating the bottom of the ocean floor as we navigate our way across this now high desert.The north rim of the Grand Canyon is very remote. It's 30 miles one way into the Visitor Center and Lodge, and it is the only entrance into the park. Once there, the canyon itself is of course the main attraction. There are many ways to view this spectacular natural wonder, the first of which is from the Grand Canyon Lodge itself. The dining room, the huge open seating area and the balconies all front on the north rim of the canyon.

After dropping our backpacks in the cabin we had booked for the night - also on the rim of the canyon - we headed out to explore the trails around the rim. The Transcept Trail winds around under the Lodge and offers a couple of overlooks on narrow points jutting out into the canyon. Butch snapped this photo of me from a safe spot on the trail. He prefers not to be too close to the edge, and was not even real comfortable with the fact that I was - but he did manage to click the shutter!
I also hiked out to Bright Angel Point which looks down Bright Angel Canyon through which the North Kaibab Trail leads down 14 miles to Phantom Ranch and the Colorado River at the bottom of the canyon. The trail out to the point is only a quarter of a mile and well worth the trip - the overlook is just stunning.
We sat on the lodge balcony with a glass of wine and watched the sun set. After dinner, we slowly made our way back around the rim to our cabin. The park has done a very nice job of keeping the light pollution to a minimum, and the sky was clear so we could see the Milky Way and millions of stars.
For breakfast the next morning, we had a window table and a totally different view of the canyon in the morning sun.
The Bridle Trail connects the Lodge to the North Kaibab Trail and is a beautiful walk through a ponderosa pine forest. The park ranger had told us that we might see a Kaibab Squirrel, a funny-looking tassel-eared squirrel with a skunk-like stripe down his back and a white tail, found only in the North Rim. I didn't see a live one, but here's a picture!
At the North Kaibab Trail, I couldn't resist getting one more view of the canyon. This trail descends 6,000 feet to the floor of the canyon through many layers of stone. The top layer, the kaibab layer, for which the Kaibab Plateau is named, represents about the first 800-foot layer of the peninsula on which we stand. I hiked 1.5 miles down to the Coconino Overlook, named for the coconino sandstone which makes up the second layer of rock. From this overlook, the sheer size of the canyon is overwhelming.
Mule trains haul people up and down this trail and a couple of groups passed me as I headed down the trail. By the time I climbed up the 800 feet to return to the parking lot, I was sort of wishing for a mule! It's amazing how quickly the temperature rises as one descends the canyon. In fact, park rangers recommend that you hike very early in the day if you are going to the bottom during the summer months, and never, never EVER try to go to the bottom and back in one day. On the day we were there, the predicted high at the bottom of the canyon was 100 degrees!When I got back to the top, the temperature was still in the low 70s - about a 10-degree difference from that at the overlook. What a place! I hear that the South Rim is crowded and touristy. Having now been to the North Rim, I'm not sure I will ever see the South Rim. I would go back to the North Rim in a heartbeat!
What a wonderful way to spend our 43rd anniversary!




No comments:
Post a Comment