and Secret Service were milling about. One sharp shooter with a lot of ammo and a very large gun walked by and spoke. No problem, he said, from where I was standing.
I continued my normal walking route down to the base area and spotted a CNN cameraman, who told me that he was headed down to West Yellowstone shortly. The Obamas were staying in the Summit Hotel, probabaly in the top floor penthouse, so I looked for lights and
think I spotted one on the top floor.
think I spotted one on the top floor.Seeing nothing that indicated they were anywhere near leaving, I decided to walk back up to the helicopters. A friend joined me and we started chatting with anyone who would respond to try to find out what the President's itenerary was for the day. Eventually, a Secret Service person told us that the Obamas weren't leaving by helicopter, but by motorcade. OK..... back down to the Summit to "stalk" the President.
We walked into the Summit - yes they were screening us just like airport security - snooped around and were assured that they were still there, but there would be no public appearance. We waited around for about 30 more minutes - still no action - so I decided to walk back up the hill and go home. Just as I turned up our driveway away from the helicopters, I saw a string of Montana State Patrol cars heading down the hill from the Summit.
Thinking they were setting up roadblocks for the President's departure, I headed back down the hill one more time. This time - voila!! As I got down the hill and crossed the entrance road to the resort, a Sherriff's officer
confirmed that the motorcade was about 10 minutes away. He was right!
confirmed that the motorcade was about 10 minutes away. He was right!The President's vehicle - a white SUV - was surrounded by 6 black SUVs weaving back and forth in front, back and beside his vehicle, blue lights flashing all over the cars. Helicopter escorts also appeared. There's no question in my mind that he and his family are well-protected. About 10 of us were standing on the side of the road waving good-bye.
Governor Brian Schweitzer said yesterday that the Obamas were going to stop in Yellowstone to visit Old Faithful and then board Air Force One in West Yellowstone for the next leg to Grand Junction, Colorado where another town hall is
scheduled.
scheduled.Things sure are quiet around here now! And, it's really cold - it was 40 degrees while I was doing all my "sleuthing" this morning and it hasn't gotten out of the 40s all day. In fact, there was a dusting of snow up on the Spanish Peaks this morning. I don't think this means summer is over, but it sure has been an unusually cool and wet one!
Tomorrow we head over to Chico Hot Springs for the annual block party and to hear Montana Rose. I'll be in the mineral hot springs for most of the afternoon.

No comments:
Post a Comment