I have never known anyone who reached their 100th birthday. I know
this is quite common - at least if you watch Willard Scott announce centenarian birthdays on the NBC Today Show. But, REALLY - I have never known anyone personally who reached this impressive achievement - until, Ruby Haynes, aka "Fuzzy". What's even more special is that she was my mom's best friend and 1st cousin. My mom would have also been 100 years old this year.
this is quite common - at least if you watch Willard Scott announce centenarian birthdays on the NBC Today Show. But, REALLY - I have never known anyone personally who reached this impressive achievement - until, Ruby Haynes, aka "Fuzzy". What's even more special is that she was my mom's best friend and 1st cousin. My mom would have also been 100 years old this year.Now, this isn't just any 100-year old. First of all, does she really look like she's 100? You might guess 80. How many people still ride their bicycles (3-wheelers) at 100 years of age?
Or even 80 years of age, for that matter? And, how many pills do you take each day if you are over the age of 60? For myself, I take 3 (including a "baby aspirin"), and I consider myself healthy. Fuzzy takes 1 pill per day. When asked what her secret was for living so well and so long, she talked about eating well and staying active - can't get away from the diet and exercise routine! Boring, I guess, but face it, it's worked for her.
Or even 80 years of age, for that matter? And, how many pills do you take each day if you are over the age of 60? For myself, I take 3 (including a "baby aspirin"), and I consider myself healthy. Fuzzy takes 1 pill per day. When asked what her secret was for living so well and so long, she talked about eating well and staying active - can't get away from the diet and exercise routine! Boring, I guess, but face it, it's worked for her.We had a great party - two parties, actually - on Saturday and Sunday.
So many relatives I haven't seen in years came in for this celebration and to pay tribute to this remarkable woman. She still attends church every Sunday, so part of the celebration was a covered dish dinner after church services in one of the local elementary schools. There was plenty of time for sharing stories and memories and many spoke of the impact Fuzzy had on their lives. The principal of the elementary school was in the Brownie Troop Fuzzy led and many remember her from Ruby's Kindergarten.
So many relatives I haven't seen in years came in for this celebration and to pay tribute to this remarkable woman. She still attends church every Sunday, so part of the celebration was a covered dish dinner after church services in one of the local elementary schools. There was plenty of time for sharing stories and memories and many spoke of the impact Fuzzy had on their lives. The principal of the elementary school was in the Brownie Troop Fuzzy led and many remember her from Ruby's Kindergarten. Fuzzy started a kindergarten after World War II because she believed children needed a head start - and this was years before the Head Start program was even thought about. She loved to teach and put herself through college in order to realize her life ambition.
As I write this, I am reminded of the women in my life who have paved the way for my generation of women to achieve what we have been able to achieve. In the 6th chapter of Deuteronomy in the Old Testament I find the phrase "We drink from wells we did not dig.." Surely Fuzzy and my mom and other women who surrounded me dug these wells from which I so freely drink today. And, I am grateful, as this year comes to a close, and I think I have just discovered my New Year's resolution - "Keep digging those wells!!"

No comments:
Post a Comment