Supporters from surrounding states are being called in to help knock on doors, make phone calls and recruit other volunteers. Last Friday, I was part of a group of UTC students who went to Charlotte to help in the campaign there. Even CNN took notice of our group. http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/23/king.north.carolina/index.html?iref=mpstoryviewThere were about 50 of us who made the 5-hour trip. My hat's off to the drivers of the vans who carried the students. I decided early on that driving a van full of college students was something I might have done 25 years ago, but not now. I took my SUV and followed with their luggage - which is much more peaceful than the live bodies!!
Again,
as with my other experiences with this campaign, the group in NC was enthusiastic, well organized and we were all united toward the common goal of getting Barack Obama elected as our next President.
as with my other experiences with this campaign, the group in NC was enthusiastic, well organized and we were all united toward the common goal of getting Barack Obama elected as our next President.Along with my canvassing partner, Daidee, we knocked on about 200 doors encouraging eligible voters to vote early. Early voting started in NC on October 16 and continues through November 1. One-stop early voting is a great option in NC- an eligible voter can go to any early voting location (public libraries in Charlotte) and register to vote and then cast their ballot immediately. I wish TN had that option!
The campaign headquarters was absolutely full of volunteers and field organizers, who are mostly young college graduates, like our organizer Kevin, who have signed on to work in the campaign as interns. They work about 18 hours per day and told us that they will be on 24-hour shifts as the campaign comes to a close. The office is definitely not fancy - note the cardboard and duct tape cubicles for volunteer phone canvassers. Rented tables and chairs are the only equipment - didn't see one executive desk or padded chair! I don't think any of us care about luxurious work space nor did I hear one request for brie or latte - no intellectual elites here!!

No comments:
Post a Comment